The Swiss AI Lab IDSIA (Istituto Dalle Molle di Studi sull'Intelligenza Artificiale) is a
non-profit oriented research institute for artificial intelligence, affiliated
with both the Faculty of Informatics of
the Università della Svizzera Italiana and the Department of Innovative Technologies of
SUPSI, the University of Applied Sciences of Southern Switzerland. We focus on machine learning
(artificial neural networks, reinforcement learning), optimal universal
artificial intelligence and optimal rational agents, operations research,
complexity theory, and robotics. IDSIA is situated near Lugano, a lakeside city
in the Italian-speaking canton of Ticino, a region of Switzerland well known
for its warm climate and outstanding scenery.
IDSIA is also very active in education and contributes to teaching the following courses:
- The NY Times mentioned our results - read this interview on KurzweilAI for more information on the 8 international competitions won by our Deep Learning methods since 2009.
- Back in 1997, long before the recent successes, in Business Week's "X-Lab Survey" IDSIA was already ranked in fourth place in the category "Computer Science - Biologically Inspired", after much larger institutions. IDSIA was also ranked in the world's top 10 of the broader category "Artificial Intelligence."
- The Economist reported on IDSIA's research on Swarm Intellligence.
- Some recent news:
- Nagoya, 22 September 2013: Our Deep Learning won the MICCAI 2013 Grand Challenge on Mitosis Detection (important for cancer prognosis), through the efforts of D. C. Ciresan and A. Giusti
- Dallas, 7 August 2013: IDSIA's J Schmidhuber receives the 2013 Helmholtz Award from the International Neural Network Society.
- Beijing, 2 Aug 2013: AGI 2013 Best Paper Award for B R Steunebrink, J Koutnik, K Thorisson, E Nivel, J Schmidhuber.
- July 2013: Best paper award at the ECSQARU 2013 conference for IPG@IDSIA members A Antonucci, C Polpo de Campos, D Huber and M Zaffalon.
- July 2013: D Deratani Mauá won the Google best student paper award at the UAI 2013 conference - a joint work with C Polpo de Campos, A Benavoli and A Antonucci.
- Seattle, 15 July 2013: AAAI 2013 Best Student Video Award for "Task Relevant Roadmaps for iCub Humanoid Robot", by M Stollenga, K Frank, J Leitner, L Pape, A Foerster, J Koutnik, J Schmidhuber
- October 2012: we released "Towards Intelligent Humanoids", a video about our ongoing efforts to apply AI algorithms to create autonomous, adaptive, intelligent behaviors on a humanoid robot.
- July 2012: IDSIA's A E Rizzoli has been elected to the presidency of the International Environmental Modelling and Software Society for the biennium 2012-2014.
- 13 June 2012: Teaser Video: J Schmidhuber in TV Premiere of Through the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman on the Science Channel.
- 5 March 2012: Our neural computer vision team won the ISBI 2012 Image Segmentation Challenge by a large margin, with superhuman pixel error rate. (Ranks 2-6 for researchers at ETHZ, MIT, CMU, Harvard.)
- 20 January 2012: Talk at TEDx Lausanne on creative machines. Transcript.
- January 2012: Begin of ERC Starting Grant for F. Grandoni.
- San Francisco: AAAI 2011 best video award for Swarmanoid, the movie, with contributions from IDSIA, IRIDIA, EPFL, ISTC.
- Google Headquarters, CA: Kurzweil Prize for Best Paper of AGI 2011 (L Gisslen, M Luciw, V Graziano, J Schmidhuber)
- 2011 Solomonoff AGI Theory Prize shared by M Ring, IDSIA
- Our team won the IJCNN 2011 on-site Traffic Sign Recognition Competition (the only method outperforming humans). More
- Singapore, MobiCONA 2011: Best research paper award (E N Toklu and R Montemanni)
- Our team won the ICDAR 2011 Chinese handwriting recognition competition
Directions to our offices
Tel. +41 58 666 6660
Fax +41 58 666 6661